By the title of this blog you may think I am writing about my experience in an elevator…. Not so much, this is going to be a bit of a rant about something I found out yesterday. Consumer goods including groceries are going up yet again.
I don’t know about you but with gas, housing, insurance, and taxes all on the rise I could take comfort in the fact that my grocery budget wouldn’t vary.
Looks like it will be back to old budget drawing board for most of us. I read that the cost of groceries is going up by 5% over the next year. Which means that for my family of four our grocery budget is going to increase another 270 to 300 per year?
It may not sound like a lot of money over the course of a year but for most it’s like trying to find a 13th month to budget for. So I will let you in on some cost saving grocery tips that I implement in my own shopping:
- Know your budget: revisit your budget frequently, keep your receipts to know what you are spending every time you shop.
- Compare Prices: Or what I like to call “Flyer Shop”, your local grocery store sends flyers out weekly.
- Inventory control: Only buy what you need, most of us don’t know what is in our cupboards and we buy what we think we need and find out we already have 2 cans of tomato sauce.
- Reduced Pricing: Keep in mind this does not mean expired, that whole chicken on for $3.00 does not mean it is bad, freeze it and use it at a later date. You will save a lot of money on meat products if you do this.
- Price Match: Or “save on gas shopping” Walmart is a great store for this. If you don’t already know you can take any stores flyer to them and they will match the sale price on that item. Instead of driving around to get that great deal take all your flyers to one place! It’s great.
I hope these tips will help, from experience I can tell you that I have decreased my grocery budget by up to 10-15% on a monthly basis. Don’t say I didn’t warn you, see you at the check out with your fist full of flyers!
Get a Fast & Free Savings Quote Today
We Negotiate a better deal with the people you owe money to!